What safety and security measures are in place for the late-night library hours?
462 views |
Last updated on Aug 07, 2019
Controlled Building Access
Entry to the Health Sciences Library requires a current UMKC ID after 6 p.m. Entry to the Miller Nichols Library requires a current UMKC ID after 11 p.m.
- Only currently enrolled/employed UMKC students, faculty, and staff may enter (or re-enter) after 11 pm.
- All public entrances to Miller Nichols Library and the Miller Nichols Learning Center will have a card reader. It will also accept an 8-digit UMKC ID.
- UMKC students, faculty, and staff can locate their UMKC ID in Pathway by following these instructions.
- UMKC students, faculty, and staff can get a One Card by following these instructions.
Everyone in the Libraries must follow our Safe and Respectful Environment policy at all times. Anyone violating the policy may be asked to leave.
Health Sciences Library in the School of Medicine building, and Miller Nichols Library and Learning Center have security cameras, appropriate exterior lighting, trained and qualified staff working all shifts, and established emergency procedures. Both Libraries are also monitored by the UMKC campus police.
Campus and Parking Security
- Patrols: UMKC Police patrol both the Volker and Health Sciences District campuses during all of the Libraries' open hours. UMKC faculty, staff, and students can contact the campus police by calling 816-235-1515 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Request an escort: If you feel unsafe leaving the library - or any other building on campus - you can call campus police at 816-235-1515 to request an escort to your car or residence hall.
- Download the Rave Guardian app: UMKC supports the Rave Guardian app for iPhone and Android, which can be used as a safety timer, to message friends, or to contact safety officials in an emergency.